State Farm is the largest insurer in the US, according to recent market share data from the Insurance Information Institute (III). What began as an auto insurance provider in 1922 has grown into a diverse business with numerous products and services, including a vast network of agents. State Farm is based in Bloomington, Illinois and provides coverage to more than 80 million people in all 50 states.
This guide will explain everything you need to know about State Farm. We’ll go over essential company information, including the states it operates in, its total number of agents, and customer satisfaction ratings. You’ll also learn about the various types of insurance it offers. This includes key information about specific coverages, discounts, and more.
- Competitive rates
- Large agent network
- Excellent customer satisfaction ratings
- Offers a wide variety of insurance
- Well-established and stable company
- Many discount opportunities, especially for auto
- Doesn’t offer gap coverage
- Few homeowners endorsements and add-ons
State Farm Auto Insurance
State Farm is the largest auto insurance company in the nation, according to the III. It owns the most market share and has written the most policies out of all other carriers. J.D. Power ranks it as the overall best large provider in the nation with a customer satisfaction score of 885 out of 1,000. According to our research, it’s the best auto insurer in the USA.
With State Farm, you can get all the standard auto insurance products. These include the three you need for full coverage: liability, collision, and comprehensive. It also protects people with more specialized needs, providing services for rideshare drivers and classic car owners.
USAA’s complete list of coverage options include the following:
- Liability insurance. Liability pays to repair damages and injuries you cause in an accident. Liability is what most states require, at minimum.
- Collision insurance. Collision pays to fix damages to your car in an accident, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive insurance. Comprehensive protects you from damages that “acts of God,” such as weather, fire damage, or crime, cause.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist (UM and UIM). UM and UIM pays for costs that a driver with no or too little coverage causes in an accident.
- Car rental and travel expenses. Reimburses you for rental car fees while your vehicle goes through repairs. It also pays for any travel expenses, such as a hotel and food, if you get into an accident more than 50 miles from home.
- Personal injury protection (PIP). PIP covers you and your passengers’ injury costs no matter who caused the accident.
- Medical payments (MedPay). Like PIP, MedPay pays for any medical or funeral costs after an accident, regardless of fault.
- Rideshare coverage. Rideshare insurance protects you if you drive for ridesharing companies, such as Uber or Lyft, where your regular policy wouldn’t help you otherwise.
- Classic car coverage. This protects your classic or collector car if you need to take it out for a spin. It’ll pay for any necessary repairs up to your limits.
On the other hand, State Farm doesn’t offer guaranteed asset protection (Gap). If you buy an auto policy from the insurer, you’ll have to look elsewhere for gap.
State Farm provides emergency roadside assistance to its customers. They refer to this as their emergency road service product, which can help you with the following:
- Fuel delivery
- One-hour locksmith service
- One-hour mechanical labor
You can use the emergency roadside service whether you’re an existing policyholder or not. If you have emergency roadside service on your policy, your ID card will read “Coverage H.” When you don’t have a policy, you’ll need to pay for the services out of pocket.
How to Contact Roadside Assistance
If you’re stranded and need emergency roadside service, you have a few options. Here’s how you can easily contact the service when you need help:
- Call the roadside assistance phone number, (877) 627-5757
- Start an emergency roadside service request on the website
- Request roadside assistance via the mobile app
Driving in Mexico or Canada
State Farm doesn’t sell auto coverage in Canada or Mexico. But for many, their policy will cover them in the Great White North. This isn’t the same as having a Canadian policy. If you get into an accident, your policy may not protect you completely.
The situation is even worse in Mexico. If you plan on driving very far south of the border, you’ll want to buy a Mexican policy. A liability policy if nothing else. If in doubt, talk to your agent about coverage options before driving across the border.
Umbrella insurance isn’t something most people think about adding to their auto policy. But with today’s sky-high medical and new car costs, your regular coverage limits might not be enough. If not, you’re paying whatever’s left out of pocket. Luckily, an umbrella policy is inexpensive for the extra peace of mind.
Auto Policy Term Length
This insurer offers six- or 12-month policies. Many people love the flexibility of a six-month policy. Others prefer locking in a rate for 12 months, knowing it’ll go up after six. Short-term or temporary policies aren’t an option.
High-Risk Auto Coverage
High-risk insurance is available to drivers with lots of moving violations. Based on our findings, the insurer is the second-best for people with a bad driving record. These are drivers with violations like DUIs and speeding tickets. Poor credit or a lapse in coverage can also put you in the risky driver category. If this describes you, you won’t be turned away. It can even assist in filing an SR-22.
State Farm won’t cover vehicles with salvage titles. These cars were declared a total loss after an accident and assigned a rebranded title by the state. Salvages are illegal to drive and are not eligible for auto coverage. This branding can be upgraded if the vehicle undergoes significant repairs. and even then State Farm may not insure it.
State Farm offers insurance for cars with rebuilt titles. However, you should expect to pay as much as 20% more for a policy. In addition, the actual cash value for these vehicles is 20% to 40% less than it is for a clean title. Also, full coverage on a rebuild may be available, but it may be difficult because of the accident history. Even so, State Farm should offer at least liability so that you can drive it.
How to Get a Quote
If you’re considering State Farm for auto insurance, you’ll need to get a quote. There are three easy ways to get one:
- By visiting StateFarm.com and completing the form on the home page
- Calling (800) 782-8332
- Contacting an agent
When you get a quote, you’ll need to provide some personal info. It may seem like a lot at first. However, all of the information you give is necessary to receive a fair and accurate price. Here’s what you may need to provide:
- Your name
- Your home address and ZIP code
- Marital status
- Phone number
- Email address
- Driver’s license number of each driver
- Desired coverage and limits
- Make, model, and VIN of each vehicle you want to insure
- If there have been any tickets or accidents on your driving record, especially in the last five years
Note: if you get an online quote, the rate you see may not end up being final. In most cases, a representative will reach out to you by phone or email to finalize it.
Get the coverage you need for the best price
Find better coverage, lower rates, or both by comparing quotes with our fast, easy-to-use form.
Auto Rate Factors
Everyone pays a different amount for auto insurance. This is because insurers consider a wide range of factors when they’re determining your premium. State Farm, like other carriers, considers several rate factors before setting your premium. Below are the most common:
- Driving record
- Vehicle mileage
- The car you drive
- Where you live
- Credit history
Note that these aren’t all of the factors that State Farm may consider. These are just some of the most well-known.
State Farm placed third in our auto insurance company discount study. While this provider already has competitive rates, it provides numerous ways to knock a significant percentage off your premium.
Note: None of the discounts below are available in Massachusetts or Rhode Island.
Below is a complete list of State Farm’s auto discounts.
Driving History and Habit Discounts
Accident/Conviction Record Rating Plan
This is the Michigan version of the Accident-Free discount. The requirements for this are the same as the Accident-Free discount. You must insure your car with this provider for at least three years and have no at-fault accidents.
You can qualify after three continuous accident and claim-free years. A version of the accident-free discount is widely available all around the country.
Not available in CA, MA, OH, RI, and TX.
Drive Safe & Save
This discount rewards State Farm policyholders for safe driving practices. Your driving record doesn’t even come into play here. All you need to do is download the Drive Safe & Save mobile app to your phone to begin. Most people will begin saving 5% immediately.
Drive Safe and Save is Liberty Mutual’s usage-based telematics program. Once you activate the app, it records how you drive. This includes starts, stops, and speed. Safe drivers will see their savings grow up to 30% if they keep up with their safe habits.
Available everywhere except CA, MA, and RI.
Steer Clear Safe Driver
To qualify for this safe driving discount, all assigned drivers on a policy under age 25 must meet these requirements:
- No at-fault accidents or moving violations within the last three years
- Completed the Steer Clear Program, which includes watching videos and installing an app on your phone that records your trips and gives you a score. This score could help lower your rates by a huge margin if you practice safe driving.
Available in every state but CA, HI, MA, RI, and NC.
Defensive Driving Course Discounts
Everybody wins when you avoid accidents. You, your passengers, and State Farm all stand to gain when you stay out of the hospital and your car stays out of the shop.
This discount is offered in many states. The name may change, some states see better savings, and the requirements vary slightly. But all these discounts share a similar theme: State Farm rewards customers if they take accident prevention and defensive driving courses.
The savings ranges from 5 to 15%. But one caveat is that you can only apply one driver training discount per vehicle. There are other rules and limitations, which we’ll detail and explain below.
These are the common requirements in each state for accident prevention discounts:
- You’re the car’s main driver
- The main driver is at least 55 years of age (60 in Ohio and Connecticut)
- You’ve voluntarily completed an accident prevention or defensive driving course within the last three years (two years in Washington state and D.C.) approved by the state DMV, DOT, National Safety Council, AAA, AARP, or some other state-approved and certified entity
- You must show documents proving successful completion of the defensive driving course
- No chargeable accidents on your record for the last three years
Depending on which state you live in, a single moving violation or accident may get this discount removed.
After three years, you must retake the defensive driving course to continue enjoying the savings from this discount. Here are the types of courses that qualify:
- Accident Prevention – Maryland
- Accident Prevention Course – New York
- California Good Driver – California
- Defensive Driving Course – you can get a version of this discount in most states
- Driver Education Course – Colorado
- Driver Improvement Course – Pennsylvania
- Driver Training – only available in 23 states
- Good Driving – all states but CA, IL, IN, MA, MO, NH, NJ, and RI
- Inexperienced Driver Safety Education – California
- Mature Driver Improvement Course – California
- Motorcycle Education Course – Hawaii
- Motorcycle Training Course – Oregon and Tennessee
- Traffic Mitigation – Delaware
Driver Affiliations Discounts
People working in select professions may receive a discount. Certain organizations and companies partner with insurers to offer savings for their employees or affiliates.
There’s a military personnel discount for policyholders in Louisiana meeting any one of these requirements:
- Active duty and based in Louisiana
- While you’re deployed, your spouse or dependents reside in Louisiana
- Your spouse meets the above criteria
- Your guardian meets the above criteria, and your age is less than 18. Unmarried full-time student dependents qualify until the age of 24
Customer Loyalty Discounts
Loyal customers receive rich savings. Remain a loyal customer for about three years and/or have multiple cars, a home, or other things to insure under one policy, and you may get a discount.
Homeownership Discount Multiple Car
Florida homeowners can get a discount on their motorcycle and auto coverage for owning a house. The exact amount of savings can vary. Be sure to ask your agent about how much you can expect save.
Indiana Loyal Customer
Indiana drivers can get a customer loyalty discount for staying with this insurer for an extended period of time.
California drivers who keep their policy for three or more years can get a loyalty discount that increases each year for six years. After this, your savings will top out.
This is the provider’s multi-car discount. It’s for drivers that insure more than one vehicle with them. This discount alone can save you as much as 20%.
You may qualify if you meet the following requirements:
- Your policy includes two or more cars driven mostly by people living with you
- A State Farm policy covers each car
- The car’s owners must be related by marriage, blood, or adoption. Alternatively, two named insured on the policy jointly own the vehicle
You can get this everywhere but MA, NC, and RI.
Multiple Coverage Factor
This is a version of the multi-car discount that’s only available in Nevada and Virginia. This discount applies when the named insured, their spouse, or relatives own more than one vehicle covered by a State Farm auto policy.
Multiple Line Discount – Bundling
This is bundling under a different name. This discount provides huge savings for drivers that bundle auto with their home, condo, renters, or life policies. What’s great about this discount, despite the savings, is the easy qualification. Because of how much you can save and its availability, we ranked State Farm as having the best car and homeowners bundle out of all other insurers.
You can get this in every state but IN, MA, and RI.
Personal Injury Protection Additional Cars
New Jersey residents who own more than one vehicle and are designated driver of each may qualify for a discount. Only one licensed driver per household can get this discount. It applies to both standard and/or non-standard rating plans.
Texas drivers can get a discount after three years with this insurer unless they accumulate points on their driving record under the Texas Driving Insurance Plan. Saving can increase over time without any traffic violations.
Age 65 and Over
New Jersey residents can claim the senior discount when they’re over the age of 65 and the principal driver of a vehicle.
Available to Kentucky drivers who are 65 and over and if no assigned drivers under 25 appear on the policy. This discount reduces PIP premiums.
This ever-popular good student discount is for families with students under 25 in high school or college that get good grades. You can qualify for these savings if your student achieves one of the following:
- Upper 20% of their class
- B average or higher
- Grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher
- Dean’s List or Honor Roll
Drivers with AA and BA degrees meeting the above requirements may also qualify. Home schooled or home study students can also grab this discount by taking standardized national tests within the last 12 months and ranking in the upper 20%.
Proof of eligibility is required before applying this discount.
Note: available in every state but HI, MA, NC, OH, and RI.
The student away discount is for families with students under 25 who live at a school over 100 miles away from home. The car must remain at home during the school term. However, the student may drive it when they return for holidays or breaks.
Available everywhere but HI, IN, MA, NC, and RI.
Vehicle Safety Discounts
Vehicle safety discounts provide savings based on safety equipment. Cars with modern safety devices may qualify for any of the following rewards:
- Air Bag – only in North Carolina
- Anti-lock brakes (ABS) – Florida and New York
- Anti-theft device – FL, IL, KY, LA, MI, MN, NJ, NM, NY, PA, and TX
- Automobile Safety Belts – only in Michigan
- Daytime running lights (DRL) – only in New York
- Passive restraints (Airbags) – everywhere but AR, CA, IL, LA, MA, NC, OH, RI
If the model year of your car is no older than 1998, then you qualify. Newer vehicles are safer and if anyone knows that, it’s auto insurers. The vehicle safety discount is offered to encourage drivers to keep up with the newest safety tech. If you don’t crash, everyone saves money and insurers will reward you.
The savings kicks in for New Jersey drivers beginning with model year 1998 and 1999 for Texas drivers.
Filing an Auto Claim
Filing a claim is easy. In fact, we found that the company has the easiest filing process in the country. To file, you’ll need to go on their website or mobile app. Then, you can select “Auto and Motorcycle” to begin your claim. Before doing so, you’ll need to provide the following:
- The date and time of the accident
- Which cars were part of the collision
- Where the accident occurred
- An account of what happened
- A thorough description of the extent of the damages
Key Takeaway for Auto Insurance
State Farm is the biggest, most well-recognized, and highly rated auto insurer in the United States. It’s popularity is no surprise, considering its extensive coverage options, numerous discounts, and famously low rates. It’s also easy to find a local agent, with over 19,000 available nationwide. Filing claims is also a straightforward and painless process. For these reasons and more, State Farm is one of the best options for car insurance.
State Farm Homeowners Insurance
State Farm is the largest home insurer in the country by market share. It’s also one of the top-rated providers for customer satisfaction and overall quality. In 2021, J.D. Power scored the carrier 835 out of 1,000 on its homeowners customer satisfaction study. This was good for fourth in the country. S&P Global also gave it an impressive AA rating.
State Farm offers the standard protections that you’d expect for a home insurance policy. Below are the types of homeowners coverage available:
- Dwelling coverage. Protects the physical structure of your home and other buildings on your property.
- Personal liability coverage. Covers any expenses that you or other household members cause. This includes pets.
- Personal belongings coverage. This pays for or replaces belongings that a covered peril destroys.
- Additional living expenses. Pays for hotel fees, restaurant bills, or any other necessary living expenses while your home is unlivable.
- Medical payments. This covers anyone outside the household who sustains injuries on your property.
A sizeable number of home insurance discounts are available to help bring your premium down. Unlike with auto policies, there aren’t nearly as many rewards available for homeowners. Still, they’re a great way to lower your rates and save money.
The following is a complete list of homeowners discounts this insurer offers:
State Farm allows you to bundle your homeowners with other insurance products, like auto, to get a discount. You might also see this called the multi-line discount. All you need to do is buy your home, auto, or any other coverages from this provider.
Keep in mind that you can’t bundle pet or health coverage with home for a discount. Be sure to ask your agent about what you can or can’t bundle.
A discount is waiting for you if you install a security system at your house. Types of security systems listed are:
- Fire and smoke alarms
- Anti-burglar alarms
- Other systems in place to look after your home
You can get a discount on your homeowners rates if your roof is made of impact-resistant materials. This includes “class 4” or hail resistant shingles. Before installing a new roof, be sure to speak with your agent to see which materials will give you a discount on your homeowners rates.
If your roof is a total loss, it will be repaired at replacement cost. To take advantage of any discounts for your roof, you’ll need to fill out a form making you eligible for a reduction in your premiums.
Setting a Higher Deductible
Setting your homeowners deductible higher will lower your rates. This is a good way to pay less each month for home insurance. But be aware that doing so puts you on the hook for a lot more money if you need to file a claim. Only set a high deductible if you’re able to pay the amount.
Homeowners endorsements allow you to add extra coverage to your policy. They help to fill in any gaps. State Farm offers many endorsements or policy riders, including:
- Inflation guard. Increases your limits to keep up with rising construction costs due to inflation.
- Scheduled personal property. Raises limits for certain valuable objects, such as jewelry, art, collectibles, etc.
- Water backup. Covers water damage to your home from sewer or sump pump backups.
- Identity theft. Protects you from any costs relating to identity theft.
There may be other types of endorsements or extra coverage that aren’t listed here. Be sure to ask your agent about other types of endorsements that the company offers. You can also choose to buy an umbrella policy to further protect yourself from expensive liability claims.
Homeowners Rate Factors
State Farm, like other insures, determines your rates based on a number of factors. These factors are often in your control. However, they can also be out of your hands. Here are common homeowners rate factors:
- Replacement cost vs. actual cash value (ACV). This is how your carrier reimburses you for damages. Choosing replacement cost will mean higher rates, while picking the ACV will mean lower rates.
- Home value. A more valuable home with expensive features will likely result in higher rates. This is because it’ll be more costly to repair or replace.
- Where you live. Living in an area that’s at risk for crime or disastrous weather, such as hail or hurricanes, could mean higher rates.
- Credit score. Your credit history is a common rate factor. A low credit score likely means you’ll pay more for homeowners each month.
- Type of policy. When you buy homeowners, you’ll have to choose a type of policy. Choosing one with more features will result in more expensive premiums.
Note: these may not be the only rate factors used, but they’re some of the most common.
Filing a Homeowners Claim
Filing a homeowners claim is fairly easy. You can file a claim either on the website or mobile app. When you file a homeowners claim, you’ll need to provide specific information. Here’s a list what you’ll need:
- Date and time of the accident or disaster
- Location of the accident
- Property that was part of the accident
- Policyholder contact info
- What caused the damages
- Details regarding any injuries that may have occurred
After providing the above information, you should be able to complete filing your claim. Once you do, you should receive a prompt response before work begins to settle your claim.
Key Takeaway for Homeowners Insurance
State Farm offers a highly rated and well-rounded home insurance product. It has all of the basic coverage types necessary to protect your home. You’ll save plenty of money with it’s homeowners discounts, such as bundling or installing a security system. Adding endorsements to provide extra protection is also available with several options. Overall, State Farm offers everything most people need in a homeowners insurance provider.
State Farm Renters Insurance
Renters insurance gives you personal liability protection and covers your belongings. Technically, renters is a form of homeowners. The difference between the two is that renters doesn’t cover the physical structure of a house. State Farm ranks highly for its home and renters programs. A.M. Best gave it an A++ grade, the highest possible score, for overall quality.
State Farm provides all of the basic coverages that typically come with renters insurance. This includes:
- Personal liability coverage. Covers any liability expenses that members of your household cause.
- Personal belongings. Pays for or replaces any items a covered peril destroys.
- Additional living expenses. This covers any necessary living expenses if your rental unit is uninhabitable due to a covered peril.
Renters coverage is already cheap. But you can pay even less with discounts! This insurers customer rewards are fairly easy to qualify for. Here’s a list of renters insurance discounts:
- Multi-line (bundling). By bundling other coverages, like auto, with your renters, you can get a massive discount.
- Setting a high deductible. Having a higher deductible will result in lower rates. Only raise your deductible if you can afford to pay it in the event of a disaster.
- Home security. You can get a discount for installing a home security system. These include things like smoke and burglar alarms. Be sure to ask your agent about what types of security features qualify you for a discount.
Various ways to add extra renters coverages to bolster your protection. This includes endorsements and other options that help fill gaps in your policy. Here are State Farm’s renters add-ons:
- Identity restoration. Losing your identity is a stressful experience. Identity restoration helps pay for any costs an ID theft causes.
- Scheduled personal property. Own valuable or expensive items? This raises limits on specific items such as jewelry, art, antiques, etc.
- Earthquake damage. Renters policies normally don’t include earthquake protrections. This will cover any damages to your belongings from an earthquake.
- Additional business property. Covers any business property in your rental unit.
- Incidental business liability. Protects you from liability costs if you bring people to your rental unit for business reasons.
Renters Rate Factors
Like any other insurer, State Farm sets your rates based on several different factors. These factors are small details about you that indicate your risk as a customer and renter. Below are examples of renters insurance rate factors:
- Where you live
- How much coverage you buy
- How high or low you set your deductible
- Claim history
- Credit history (only in states that allow it)
Filing a Renters Claim
Filing a renters claim is straightforward. You can file a claim on the website or mobile app. You’ll need some key information to file your claim:
- When the accident happened (date and time)
- You or the policyholder’s contact info
- What property was involved
- What caused the damages
- Injury info
- Accident location
Key Takeaway for Renters Insurance
State Farm offers everything you’d want in a renters insurance policy. It has all the coverage a tenant needs and is inexpensive. The insurer also makes it easy to save with a ton of discounts. Filing claims and finding agents is an easy task on the website or via the mobile app. State Farm is a complete option for your renters needs.
As mentioned, State Farm is the largest property and casualty insurer in the nation. In 2021, the company held a market share percentage of 8.82%, per a report from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC). In the same year, the provider wrote over 70 billion direct property/casualty premiums.
If want one, you shouldn’t have any problem finding an agent. This provider features an extensive network of agents, with about 19,200 of them in 2021.
Here is some more company info:
- Revenue: $82.224 billion
- Number of employees: over 53,000
- CEO: Michael Tipsord
- Headquarters: Bloomington, IL
State Farm was founded in 1922 by a retired farmer named George J. Mecherle. He started it as an auto insurer for farmers and intended it to be owned by its policyholders. Eventually, the company grew and added more types of insurance, including homeowners, life, and even banking and investment services. Today, there are over 100 products in its portfolio available to customers.
State Farm adopted its trademark logo with three connected ovals in the 40s, only making slight alterations since. Each shape represents one of its three primary products—auto, home, and life insurance.
It’s hard not to turn on your TV and hear the signature jingle: “Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there.” This jingle, which is still on commercials today, was written in 1971 by Barry Manilow, a singer-songwriter. The company has embraced a culture of acting like a good neighbor to its customers. To them, this means placing a strong emphasis on friendliness, trust, and value.
State Farm has excellent customer service ratings across the board. This includes scores from well-known organizations such as A.M. Best, S&P Global, the Better Business Bureau, and more.
Here are up-to-date customer satisfaction ratings:
- A.M. Best Rating: A++ (Superior)
- Better Business Bureau: A+
- S&P Global: AA
- NAIC Complaint Index: 1.18
J.D. Power conducts an annual study on the best auto, home, and renters insurance companies. It rates each company on a scale of 1,000 points. The auto portion of the study is broken up into four of the largest states and seven regions. Meanwhile, the homeowners and renters studies are based on satisfaction for the entire country.
State Farm consistently ranked in the top ten in each state and region in J.D. Power’s 2022 auto insurance study, with an average score of 842. It placed fourth in the national homeowners study with a rating of 835. It also had particularly high marks with renters product, coming in at second place in the country with a score of 866.
The claims filing process is simple and easy to navigate. You can file either online, with the app, or over the phone. However, they recommend filing online or on the app for the quickest, smoothest, and most useful claim experience.
The following are some useful links if you need to file a claim:
Auto/home/property claims: (800) 732-5246
Auto glass claims: (888) 624-4410
State Farm offers three mobile apps you can download to streamline or supplement your customer service:
State Farm’s official mobile app allows you to manage your policies all in one place. You can file and track claims, get your ID card, get roadside assistance, get quotes, and upload photos and/or documents. The app also gives you easy access to your agent.
Drive Safe & Save
To join the Drive Safe & Save program, you must first download and install this app. Once you’re set up in this State Farm safe driving program and have the app set up, you can earn a discount of up to 30% on your auto insurance. It uses Bluetooth technology to track several details about your driving, such as braking, how fast you drive, driving distracted, and more. The safest drivers save the most.
The Steer Clear app is for young drivers who want to get a discount on their auto insurance for safe driving. To get a discount using this app, you must:
- Have a driver’s license
- Be under 25 years old
- Have no at-fault accidents or traffic tickets in the last three years
- Complete a safe driving program and get a certification