Progressive is the third-largest auto insurance company in the US. Due to its cheap rates and popular commercials, it’s also one of the most well-known. Headquartered in Mayfield Village, Ohio, Progressive offers a wide range of insurance products, including auto, home, renters, and even pet coverage. The company operates in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.
In this guide, we’ll explain everything you need to know about Progressive auto, homeowners, and renters insurance. We’ll provide detailed information about its coverages, discounts, rate factors, and more. You’ll also learn about vital Progressive company information, including the insurer’s total number of agents, customer satisfaction rating, and claims process.
- Below average rates
- Offers many insurance options
- Offers insurance to high-risk drivers, including people with DUIs
- Third-largest auto insurer in the US
- Lots of auto, home, and renters discounts, including Snapshot for safe drivers
- Below average 2022 J.D. Power customer satisfaction ratings
- Few homeowners endorsements
- Snapshot can raise rates
Progressive Auto Insurance
Progressive is the third-largest auto insurance company in the US, according to market share data from the Insurance Information Institute (III). It has written an impressive $35.8 million worth of insurance premiums. It also has a reputation for high customer satisfaction. J.D. Power gave Progressive an overall customer satisfaction rating of 859 out of 1,000, good for fourth in the country.
Progressive Auto Coverages
Progressive has much to offer in terms of auto insurance coverage. It provides everything drivers need, including full-coverage policies. You’ll also find some that other insurers may not have. Below is a breakdown of each auto coverage option the company offers:
Liability insurance is required in almost every state. It covers property damage and injury that you may cause in an accident.
Collision insurance pays for any damages to your car if you hit an object, such as another car, a tree, a pothole, etc. Collision is optional, but as many as 75% of policies include it as it’s necessary to have what’s referred to as full coverage.
Comprehensive coverage covers any damages to your car due to an “act of God” or random disaster. This includes protection from events like:
- Water damage
- Natural disasters e.g., hurricanes, hailstorms, tornadoes, earthquakes, etc.
- Hitting an animal
Comprehensive is the third and final insurance type necessary for full coverage. It’s optional, but 79% of drivers carry comprehensive on their policies.
Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UM and UIM)
UM and UIM will protect you from damages that drivers with little to no insurance cause. Not having this can leave you on the hook for expensive repairs. Many states, such as Illinois and New Jersey, require this.
Medical Payments Coverage (MedPay) and Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
MedPay and PIP are offered. Both pay for any injury or funeral costs for you or your passengers after an accident. In states that require PIP, you’ll get that instead of MedPay.
Loan/Lease Payoff Coverage
Unlike some insurers, Progressive offers gap insurance. Gap helps you pay off your lease or loan if you total the car. In most cases, lenders will require it. Dealers will normally offer this coverage, but it’s often cheaper to buy from an insurer.
Rental Car Reimbursement
This pays for a rental while your car’s in the shop. Rental reimbursement will only kick in if you’ve previously filed a claim for a covered accident.
Custom Parts and Equipment (CPE) Value
With CPE coverage, Progressive will fix or replace custom or aftermarket parts you’ve added to your car. This includes parts like:
Classic Car Insurance
Progressive offers coverage for classic cars through its partner, Hagerty Insurance. Where most policies cover your car for its actual cash value, this specialized insurance policy allows you to negotiate an agreed upon value. That way you’ll get every penny your baby is worth if it’s totaled. You’ll also get original parts replacement at no extra charge.
When you drive for a rideshare service like Uber or Lyft, your car isn’t fully protected when you’re waiting between clients. Rideshare coverage ensures your car has protection at all times. Progressive requires rideshare insurance if you decide to drive for an app.
Deductible Savings Bank
Your collision and comprehensive deductible can go down $50 if you go six months (the entire policy period) without a claim. This is just one way the company rewards safe drivers with lower rates.
Progressive 24/7 Roadside Assistance
Progressive’s 24/7 roadside assistance steps in when your car breaks down on the side of the road. In our rankings for the best roadside assistance, it ranks third out of all other insurers. The Progressive’s roadside assistance provides the following services:
- Fuel delivery
- Battery jump-start
- Battery charging
- Flat tire change
- Winching service
- Locksmith service
- Mechanical labor
To receive coverage, you must add roadside assistance to your policy. You can also get these services for your motorcycle, RV, and boat.
How to Contact Progressive’s Roadside Assistance
You have three options to request Progressive’s roadside assistance:
- Request roadside assistance with the mobile app
- Visit the roadside assistance portal to request help
- Call the Progressive roadside assistance phone number at (800) 776-4737
Auto Policy Term Length
The provider offers both six- and twelve-month policies. That way you have the flexibility of locking in a lower rate or keeping your options open with a shorter term. Progressive lets you make monthly payments or pay in full to qualify for a discount. Progressive doesn’t, however, sell short-term or temporary coverage.
Progressive is one of the few large insurers that offers insurance policies to high-risk drivers. According to our research, it’s the best company for people with a bad driving record. This includes those with a DUI on their record. Your rates will still go up, but at least you’ll have coverage. Progressive says that your auto insurance rates can go up by about 13% after a single DUI.
Cars with Salvage or Rebuilt Titles
Progressive insures cars with state-assigned rebuilt titles. These vehicles, at one point, received a salvage title because it was declared a total loss. Salvages are illegal to drive, and insurance companies won’t cover them. So, before any provider will insure the vehicle, you must first:
- Repair the car, being sure to keep all of the receipts for new parts (most states require this)
- Have an inspection done by the state
- Pay all fees
- Obtain a rebuilt title
You can drive a car with a rebuilt title once you’ve insured it. Insurers cover vehicles like this on a case-by-case basis, but they approve most vehicles. And while Progressive will insure a car with a rebuilt title, liability may be the only coverage available because of the extensive damage. That means rebuilds don’t get full coverage. Also, expect to pay more for a rebuilt title insurance policy. The reason for this is the vehicle’s accident history and potential safety issues following the rebuild.
How to Get a Progressive Quote
If you’re thinking of buying car insurance with Progressive, the next step is to get a quote. This will help you get an idea of how much you’ll be paying for coverage each month. There are a few simple ways to get one:
- Visit Progressive.com and start a quote on the homepage
- By calling (866)-407-4844
- With a local agent
- Via the mobile app
When you begin the quote process, be ready to provide some personal details about yourself. It may feel like a little much, but don’t worry. This info is necessary to provide you with a fair and accurate price. Here’s what most insurers need, at a minimum to complete a quote and determine your rates:
- Address and ZIP code
- Marital status
- Phone number and/or email address
- Driver’s license number of each driver you want on your policy
- Make, model, and VIN of each car you want to insure
- Desired coverage and limits
- Tickets or accidents in the last five years.
- SR-22 form filing requirement
It’s common that the rate you get online isn’t final. You’ll probably need to speak to a Progressive representative to get a finalized price.
Get the coverage you need for the best price
Find better coverage, lower rates, or both by comparing quotes with our fast, easy-to-use form.
Progressive Auto Rates
Progressive’s known for below-average auto insurance rates. It also provides many ways to lower your premiums even further, such as with discounts. You’ll find unique ways to pay less like Snapshot and the Name Your Price Tool.
Average Insurance Rates for Customers
Progressive charges customers different rates based on where they live in the US. People in some states pay more than others. The country is split into three regions based on a variety of factors affecting rates. Below is a breakdown of what people pay for car insurance, on average, in each region:
- Low-cost states. $78 per month and $932 per year (CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, ME, MT, NC, ND, NM, OH, OK, TN, SD VT, WI, and WY).
- Medium-cost states. $100 per month and $1,202 per year (AL, AZ, AR, CO, KS, MN, MS, MO, NE, NH, OR, PA, VA, WA, TX, and UT).
- High-cost states. $146 per month and $1,754 per year (CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, KY, LA, MD, MA, MI, NV, NJ, NY, RI, SC, and WV).
Everybody pays a different price for their insurance. This is because insurers consider several factors about you before setting your rates. These factors are small details about you that indicate how risky (or not) a driver and customer you are. Progressive uses the following rate factors when calculating your insurance premium:
- Yearly car mileage
- Driving record
- Where you live
- How much coverage you buy
- Engine size
The Progressive Snapshot and Name Your Price Tool are also rate factors to pay attention to. Snapshot can raise your rates for unsafe driving habits. It can also lower them when you display safe habits.
The Name Your Price Tool shows you how much insurance you can buy based on Progressive’s rates. In this way, it can help you pay less for coverage.
Progressive Auto Discounts
Progressive offers a huge number of auto discounts that can help you save lots of money. Apply these savings to your premium and watch your already inexpensive auto insurance get even cheaper.
Customer loyalty discounts reward those who remain with one insurance company for a long period of time. Loyalty also means insuring more than one thing besides your car with Progressive. That can mean more than one car under one policy. Another option is to combine your policy with homeowners or renters. Just about any type of coverage will do, so long as it’s with Progressive.
Insurance Bundling or Multi-Policy Discount
The Progressive multi-policy discount, often known as insurance bundling, allows you to save an average of 5% off your auto coverage. Bundle auto insurance with any other policy sold by Progressive and you’ll qualify.
The website says you save the most money when you bundle auto and homeowners insurance. On average, over 20%. Which is pretty good. But there are lots of other ways to bundle if you don’t own a home.
Progressive also offers auto policyholders a multi-policy discount for bundling any one of these types of insurance:
Move an existing policy to Progressive, or start a new one, and the savings will apply immediately to your premium.
Note: not available in all states.
Drivers with more than one vehicle can take advantage of the multi-car discount. This discount takes up to 4% off your premium. The cars must belong to a family member or roommate and remain parked at your address most of the time. Savings vary by state.
Continuous Insurance Discount
Progressive rewards customers with continuous insurance coverage by offering a discount recognizing that fact when you switch providers. The longer your time with your previous insurance company, the more you save.
Note: not available in California.
These auto discounts offer policyholders a way to save based on their driving habits and circumstances. This category of discounts doesn’t apply to California residents.
Snapshot: Safe Driver Discount
For most people, factors such as claims history and driving record determine auto rates. Snapshot is Progressive’s insurance telematics program that prices rates using primarily your driving habits instead. Progressive refers to this as price personalization.
Signing up is easy. And you’ll receive a small discount immediately just for joining. To get in on the big savings, $156 a year on average, you’ll need to decide whether to download a mobile app or install a plug-in device to record your driving habits.
Both the app and plug-in device collect data including when, how much, and how well you drive. Progressive records your speed, braking, and other information it finds interesting. The company also collects location data, but this will in no way affect your rates.
The bottom line is this: safe drivers will save a ton of money each year with Snapshot. Risky drivers, on the other hand, could see rate increases, even significant ones. Luckily, you’re allowed to opt out at any time.
Note: program rules, requirements, and availability differ by state. This discount is unavailable in California and North Carolina.
Teen Driver Discount
People with teen drivers on their policies can receive a discount. The actual savings aren’t published. But Progressive points out that savings vary by state.
Note: unavailable in California.
Good Student Discount
Full-time student drivers that maintain at least a “B” grade can get in on this discount. Average savings for the good student discount vary by state. But the discount starts at a lower level in AZ, ND, OR, and WA.
Note: unavailable in California and Hawaii.
Distant Student Discount (Student Away)
Drivers with full-time students on their policy who live more than 100 miles away can get this distant student discount. Students must be younger than 23 and leave the vehicle back home to qualify. Savings per policy average almost 10%.
Note: unavailable in California.
If you own a home, you can get the homeowner discount and save almost 10%. And it may surprise you to know that you qualify for this discount no matter which homeowners insurance company you’re with.
Note: unavailable in California.
Name Your Price Tool
One of the best ways to save is by using the Progressive Name Your Price Tool. This allows you to say the amount you want to pay. After that, you’ll receive a set of options that fit your price range. If you’re happy with it, you’ll be able to purchase a policy and possibly save money on your auto coverage.
To get started with the Name Your Price Tool, you’ll have to go to Progressive’s website and get a quote.
Discounts Based on Your Policy
Note: California residents don’t qualify for these policy-based discounts.
Online Quote Discount
You save 7% on average for starting your quote online. A licensed representative must finish your quote on the phone to qualify.
Note: not available in California and New York.
Sign Online Discount
Most customers will save about 9% when they sign their auto insurance documents online.
You qualify for receiving your billing and other documents electronically via email. You must also sign your documents online. These savings stack on top of the sign online discount savings. Everyone should do this! Average savings vary.
Pay in full and you’ll get this discount on your premium. Average savings vary.
Automatic Payment Discount
Get the automatic payment discount for signing up for autopay with your bank or lending institution. Average savings vary. This cannot be combined with the pay-in-full discount.
Good Driver Discounts
These sweet rewards await safe drivers that avoid tickets and accidents. Good driving may be its own reward, but Progressive likes to thank good drivers in the form of a little extra cash.
Avoid Tickets and Accidents
This safe driver discount goes to drivers that remain ticket and accident-free and file no claims for three years. This discount can save good drivers an average of 31% on their auto insurance. You’re welcome!
Accident forgiveness can come in handy. Hopefully, you never need to use it, but it’s there in case you do. It comes in three types:
- Small Accident Forgiveness. Even brand-new policyholders can avoid a rate increase on claims less than $500.
- Large Accident Forgiveness. Longtime customers can avoid a rate increase by staying accident-free for five years. You must be with Progressive for five years before becoming eligible.
- Progressive Accident Forgiveness. This optional purchase adds more accident forgiveness benefits to your policy. Progressive Accident Forgiveness can get you up to one forgiven accident per policy period. Small and Large Accident Forgiveness still applies! Not available in all states.
Technically, accident forgiveness isn’t a discount, but it’ll help you save if you have an at-fault accident.
Filing an Auto Insurance Claim
Progressive aims to make filing claims an easy process. The insurer allows you to file either on the phone at (800) 776-4737 or on its website. For a car accident with vehicle damage, here’s how you file a claim:
- Submit the claim. File either by calling the number or by visiting the website
- Decide if you want to receive payment or repairs. You can choose either a cash payment or to have Progressive repair your car. Lenders may require you to get repairs regardless of your preference. With repairs, you can use any of Progressive’s local shops.
- Schedule any repairs. Once you pick a local repair shop, all you need to do is make an appointment.
Progressive is a great option for auto insurance. It offers several types of coverage to help you fully protect your car, including gap and rideshare. You can also take advantage of several discounts, many of which are easy to qualify for. It’s also easy to file a claim with the company. Overall, Progressive is a good choice for car insurance because of how much it brings to the table.
Progressive Homeowners Insurance
Progressive also offers homeowners insurance as one of its main products. Per the III, it’s the 10th-largest homeowners provider by market share in the country. J.D. Power also ranked Progressive 12th out of all other homeowners insurers for overall customer satisfaction.
Progressive Homeowners Coverages
With Progressive, you get every basic home insurance coverage. Here’s what a homeowners policy includes:
- Dwelling coverage. Protects the physical structure of your house from covered disasters.
- Other structures coverage. This covers other structures on your property, such as swimming pools, sheds, and gazebos.
- Personal possessions. Pays for or replaces your personal belongings if a covered disaster damages them.
- Loss of use. If your home becomes uninhabitable, loss of use coverage will pay for any living expenses you rack up until you’re able to move back in.
- Personal liability protection. This protects you from damages or injuries you or other household members cause. For example, if your kid hit a baseball through the neighbor’s window, you’ll have coverage.
- Medical payments. This will take care of any injuries that occur on your property or in your home. For example, if a neighbor falls down the stairs and hurts their leg, medical payments will help pay for any costs.
Progressive Homeowners Discounts
Progressive offers a lot of homeowners insurance discounts. These are easy ways to lower your rates. Here are the homeowners discounts the provider offers:
Bundling Your Home and Auto Insurance
By buying both your home and auto insurance from Progressive, you get a nice discount. Customers save an average of 5% by bundling their home and auto.
Safety and Alarm Discounts
Equipping your home with safety features and alarms can get you a discount. Examples of safety features in the home include:
- Fire and smoke alarms
- Burglar alarms
- Fire extinguishers
- Automatic sprinklers
Quote in Advance Discount
You get a discount when you get a homeowners insurance quote at least 10 days before your policy begins.
New Purchase Discount
If you just bought a new home or are switching from renters to homeowners insurance, you might get a discount. Keep in mind that your home doesn’t need to be new construction for you to qualify.
Progressive offers a discount when you pay your entire policy in full. Typically, you must pay at least 12 months out for you to be eligible.
New Home Construction Discount
When you buy a new construction home, you can get a discount.
Paperless Billing Discount
You can easily get a discount from Progressive by switching to paperless billing. Just go to the company’s website and select this option.
Homeowners Endorsements and Extra Coverage
Endorsements are a way of adding extra coverage to your homeowners policy. There are also additional coverage options available. Below are the endorsements and extra coverage you can add:
- Scheduled personal property. Raises coverage limits for specific valuable items like jewelry, art, or antiques.
- Personal injury. Protects you from lawsuits, slander or libel, wrongful eviction, and false arrest.
- Water back-up. Covers any flood or water damage from back-ups. This includes sewer and/or sump pump backups.
Progressive Homeowners Rate Factors
Homeowners insurance rates aren’t the same for each person. Like with auto, insurers determine homeowners insurance rates by looking at several factors. These factors have to do with you as an insurance customer and your home. Below are common rate factors:
- Home value
- Claims history
- Credit rating (only in states that allow it)
- Where you live
- How much coverage you buy
- How high or low your deductible is
How to File a Homeowners Insurance Claim
To file a home insurance claim, you’ll need to either visit Progressive’s website or call its number at (800) 776-4737. Then, you should be able to file your claim. The process will include the following:
- The insurer will create a damage estimate
- You’ll receive a payment if the claim is accepted
- The home will get the repairs it needs
Progressive is a good choice for homeowners insurance because it has much to offer. All of the basic coverages are available with the company. It also has an abundance of discounts you can use to lower your rates.
Progressive Renters Insurance
Along with homeowners, Progressive also provides renters insurance. This can help you financially protect yourself and your belongings as a tenant. The insurer ranks eighth for customer satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2021 renters insurance study.
Progressive Renters Coverages
Renters insurance covers your personal belongings and other expenses when disaster strikes. There are several types of renters coverages to choose from, including:
- Personal property coverage. This covers your items from certain disasters. Keep in mind that this covers your stuff no matter where it is.
- Personal liability. With this, you’ll get protection from liability costs that you or your household members cause. This includes lawsuits.
- Loss of use coverage. This pays for any additional living expenses you have while your rental unit isn’t livable due to a covered disaster.
- Medical payments. If someone gets injured on your property, medical payments coverage will pay for any bills that arise.
Progressive Renters Discounts
Progressive offers a lot of renters insurance discounts. Many are very easy to qualify for. Below is a breakdown of its renters discounts:
- Multi-policy. You’ll get a discount when you buy both renters and auto insurance from Progressive.
- Paperless billing. Receiving your bills and other paperwork via email gets you a discount. Just go on Progressive’s website and make the switch.
- Pay in full. If you pay your entire policy in full each period (every 12 months), you’ll get a renters insurance discount.
- Early quote. Get a discount if you get a renters insurance quote ten days or more ahead of buying from them.
- Gated community. Living in a gated community can get you a discount. This is because they’re more secure and have less crime.
- Single deductible benefit. Bundling your renters and auto with Progressive gives you one deductible between the two. If a disaster causes you to file both a renters and auto insurance claim, you’ll be paid back for one deductible.
Extra Coverage Options
Standard renters insurance doesn’t always cover everything you need. Progressive solves this problem by offering extra coverage options to fill any gaps:
- Scheduled personal property. This extends coverage limits for valuable items like jewelry. Without this, you could be on your own to replace these items.
- Water backup coverage. Protects you from water damage that overflown or backed-up sump pumps, sewers, or plumbing systems cause.
- Personal injury protection. Covers you against legal fees arising from any libel or slander lawsuits, wrongful eviction, or false arrests.
Progressive Renters Rate Factors
Insurers consider many things when setting your rates. These factors help providers assess your risk. Below are some renters insurance rate factors used:
- How much coverage you buy
- Where you live
- Credit rating
- Claims history
- How high or low your deductible is
How to File a Renters Insurance Claim
Progressive allows you to file a renters insurance claim either via phone at (800) 776-4737 or on its website. Your insurance adjuster will need to create a damage estimate so the company knows how much to pay you. Then, you’ll receive payment for the claim.
Progressive’s renters insurance has a lot to offer. You can get the coverages you need. On top of that, you’ll have many discounts to choose from to help save your hard-earned money. For these reasons, Progressive is a solid option if you’re shopping for renters insurance.
Progressive Company Information
In 2021, Progressive had a market share percentage of 5.99% in the property and casualty insurance industry, per the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC). During the same period, it wrote over 47 billion premiums. These strong numbers are the reason it’s the nation’s third-largest insurer.
Below are some other facts about the company:
- Revenue: $42.658 billion
- Number of employees: about 42,000
- CEO: Tricia Griffith
- Headquarters: Mayfield Village, OH
Progressive was founded in Ohio in 1937 by lawyers Joseph Lewis and Jack Green. The two started the company as an auto insurance provider and set out to do things differently than their competitors—truly fulfilling the name, Progressive. In 1937, for example, it became the first insurance company with a drive-in claims location.
The innovative behavior rooted in Progressive’s culture has led to immense success. The company went public in 1971, and in 1974 set up shop at its current headquarters in Mayfield Village, Ohio. In 1980, then-CEO, Peter B. Lewis (son of Joseph Lewis), helped establish the company’s core values. According to Progressive, these values remain largely intact today, over 40 years later.
The 90s saw even more ingenious ideas for the insurer, with it becoming the first company to allow customers to compare Progressive quotes with up to three other insurers over the phone. And, in 1997, it became the first insurance carrier to sell car insurance policies online.
These days, Progressive is an insurance heavyweight and is best known for its creative TV commercials. You’d be hard-pressed to turn on the TV and not see Flo in an entertaining scenario.
Progressive has largely positive customer satisfaction ratings. This includes scores from well-known organizations such as A.M. Best, S&P Global, J.D. Power, and more.
Here are up-to-date Progressive Insurance customer satisfaction ratings:
J.D. Power releases a yearly study on the top auto, home, and renters insurance companies. It scores companies on a scale of 1,000 points. J.D. Power divides the auto insurance study into four states and seven regions. Conversely, it bases the homeowners and renters insurance studies on customer service scores for the entire country.
Progressive was on each of the top lists in J.D. Power’s 2022 auto insurance study. It had an average car insurance customer satisfaction rating of 819. It came in 12th on the homeowners insurance study with a score of 821. On the renters insurance study, it ranked eighth with a score of 816.
Progressive allows you to file a claim on its website, mobile app, or over the phone. When you file, you’ll have to work with a representative to figure out your next steps. This includes getting an estimate for repairs and then waiting to see if the provider will accept your claim. If accepted, you’ll receive a reimbursement and will be able to schedule repairs for your home or vehicle.
Progressive’s claims process is generally the same for auto, windshield/glass, and property claims. For property claims, however, you’ll need to get in contact with your Progressive-affiliated home insurance company. You can find a page with each one’s phone number down below.
These are some useful links if you need to report a claim:
Progressive claims hotline: (800) 776-4737
The Progressive App has several features that help you manage your insurance all in one place. Downloading it will give you access to the following:
- Digital insurance ID cards
- Policy information (types of coverage you have, drivers on your policy, etc.)
- Payment and billing options
- Claims options (filing and viewing)
- Roadside assistance
- Quotes for other types of insurance
Progressive has a mobile app for its safe driving discount program called Snapshot. If you enroll in this program, you’ll receive personalized rates based on how well you drive. Snapshot calculates a discount based on your real-time driving habits. Progressive says that safe drivers can save an average of $156 each year with the program.