Members of the military make many sacrifices in service of their country. Insurance companies recognize this fact and, in turn, offer special benefits to current and former service members. But which insurer is the best for active military and veterans? Our research shows that USAA is the best car insurance company for military members and their families.
However, just about every insurer has something to offer service members. In this article, we’ll go over all the best companies for auto insurance if you’re on active duty or retired. We’ll also give you some tips on lowering your premium. For a breakdown on the best overall car insurance companies in the country, be sure to visit our article on the topic.
Compare the best companies for military members
Find better coverage, lower rates, or both by comparing quotes with our fast, easy-to-use form.
Best Car Insurance for Military Members: USAA
USAA is the best car insurance company for members of the military, veterans, and their families. It only writes policies for people who’ve served in a branch of the US armed forces. Here’s who can join USAA:
- Active duty members of the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Navy, National Guard
- Currently enlisted Reserves members
- Veterans of the US Armed Forces with an honorable discharge
- Cadets or midshipmen attending a US Service Program, Prep School, or ROTC program
- Family members, including spouses, widowed or un-remarried former spouses, and children of military members who either currently have or have had USAA in the past
USAA sports a high level of overall customer satisfaction. It scored 875 out of 1,000 on J.D. Power’s 2022 U.S. Insurance Shopping Study and has received excellent ratings from organizations like A.M. Best, Moody’s, and S&P Global.
Another reason to choose USAA is because of its cheap rates. The provider is well-known for having very good prices, especially compared to the competition.
You’ll find all the coverages you’d expect from an auto insurer with USAA. This includes full coverage and others such as personal injury protection (PIP), medical payments coverage (MedPay), and uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage.
USAA has many discounts that can help you save on your auto insurance. A few, such as the on-base discount, are unique to service members. Below are some notable discounts you can get from USAA:
- Military on-base discount. Allows you to save up to 15% when you store your car on-base.
- Vehicle storage discount. This gives you a discount of up to 60% for putting your car in storage.
- Bundling discount. Get 10% off for bundling your auto insurance with homeowners or renters.
- Good student discount. You can save around 3 to 4% by having a student with good grades.
- Safe driving discount. You can save up to 30% if you enroll in USAA’s safe driving program, SafePilot.
- Family discount. You’ll receive a discount of up to 10% if your parents buy auto insurance from USAA.
The above is just a small sample of USAA’s discounts. For a complete list, we recommend checking out our USAA shopping guide.
Final Word on USAA
USAA is our top auto insurance selection if you’re in the military. The company has the following benefits:
- Competitive rates, with no fees for setting up a monthly payment plan
- Lots of discount opportunities (including some exclusive to armed forces personnel)
- Several coverage options
- Highly rated customer service
If you’re looking for the cheapest car insurance, you just can’t beat USAA.
Second-Best Car Insurance for Military: GEICO
GEICO is our choice for the second-best auto insurance company for military members. As a company that began serving government employees, GEICO is very friendly to both active duty and veteran policyholders. It has a good deal of discounts, including some specifically for those who served.
Overall, GEICO’s a great company. It has great customer satisfaction scores and financial strength ratings across the board. For instance, A.M. Best gave GEICO an A++ rating, and J.D. Power scored the insurer 853 out of 1,000.
Like USAA, GEICO also has very competitive rates. Some of the lowest in the nation. And, as a current or past service member, you can save even more by taking advantage of GEICO’s military-specific discounts.
You’ll have no problem getting the coverage you need with GEICO. The company offers a wide range of auto coverage options, including liability, collision and comprehensive, PIP, MedPay, and a lot more.
GEICO shines through with the number of discounts it offers, especially those directly related to the military. Here are some auto discounts offered by GEICO:
- Military discount. If you’re a retired or active duty member of the military, National Guard, or Reserves, you can save up to 15%.
- Emergency deployment discount. You can get up to 25% if you’re deployed to an imminent danger pay area. You can qualify if you have orders to go to one of these areas or if your car’s stored with one of GEICO’s storage protection plans.
- Military affiliation discount. GEICO will give you a discount if you’re a member of any of these organizations:
- Association of the United States Army (AUSA)
- Armed Forces Benefit Association (AFBA)
- Navy League of the United States (NLUS)
- Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU)
- Multi-policy discount. Bundling your car insurance with a home, renters, condo, or mobile home policy can get you a discount.
- Multi-vehicle discount. If you insure more than one car with GEICO, you’ll get up to 25% off your coverage.
- Good student discount. You’ll save up to 15% on certain coverages if you have a student with a “B” average on your policy.
These are just a few of the discounts. Our GEICO shopping guide has a more detailed list of savings you can get with the company.
Final Word on GEICO
If you’re in the military, you can’t go wrong with GEICO. It offers a wide range of auto insurance coverages and discounts and is a solid company. On top of that, GEICO has some of the lowest rates around. That’s why we picked it as the second-best company for uniformed service members.
Third-Best Car Insurance for Military: Armed Forces Insurance
The third-best auto insurer for military members is a company that’s been around for over 130 years. Founded in 1887, Armed Forces Insurance (AFI) provides auto coverage if you’re on active duty or a vet. The company also has homeowners, renters, and umbrella coverage as part of its long list of insurance products.
One special benefit of Armed Forces Insurance is that it, like USAA, exclusively works with armed forces personnel and their families. If you decide to work with the company, you can take comfort in knowing that its sole focus is people who serve in the military.
You’re eligible to join AFI if you’re:
- A retired or active duty member of any US military branch. This includes the Coast Guard, National Guard, and Reserves
- A retired or active employee of the US Department of Defense or US Department of Veterans Affairs
- A retired, former, or active commissioned officer of NOAA or PHS
- A member of the Civil Air Patrol, Coast Guard Auxiliary, Merchant Marine, Military Auxiliary Radio System, and Marine Corps Auxiliary
- Enrolled in an ROTC or Merchant Marine Service Academy
- A spouse, former spouse, or widow/widower of a retired or active duty member of any US military branch.
- A child, parent, or spouse of a current or former AFI member
- A former AFI policyholder
AFI offers all the auto coverage you’d expect. This includes but isn’t limited to liability coverage, collision, and comprehensive coverage, PIP and MedPay, UM/UIM coverage, and roadside assistance.
AFI doesn’t list any specific discounts on its website. However, this doesn’t mean you won’t be able to get any. You may want to get a quote from AFI to get a better idea of how much you’d end up paying with the company.
Final Word on Armed Forces Insurance
Armed Forces Insurance is a high-quality company. You’ll be able to get good coverage and chances to save on your premium. If you’re in the market for a new policy and are eligible, we recommend AFI.
Compare Quotes From the Best Companies for Military Members
Active duty military and veterans get the lowest rates by comparing quotes among leading auto insurance companies.
Honorable Mentions for Military Members
USAA, GEICO, and Armed Forces Insurance are the best companies for veterans, members of the military, and their families. But there are a couple of other major companies that go the extra mile to help the current or formerly enlisted. These are our honorable mentions for the best companies for military members:
Liberty Mutual is our first honorable mention. The patriotic insurer offers a military discount to current or former members of the US Armed Forces or Reserves. As Liberty Mutual says proudly on its website, this is its way to thank you for serving the country.
Liberty Mutual doesn’t give a specific percentage you can save. Our research shows you can save up to 10%. You might want to contact Liberty Mutual or talk to an agent to see what kind of discount you can get.
Farmers is another company that offers benefits to military members and their families. In its “Affinity” category, Farmers includes a military discount. You can qualify if you’re on active duty or a veteran.
The Farmers website doesn’t specify how much you’ll save. The percentage off your rates could vary by state or by other factors such as the car you drive or how old you are. Reach out to Farmers if you want to get a discount.
We’ve studied the largest insurance companies in the nation to find the best one for military members. Here is our final ranking:
Ways to Save on Car Insurance as a Military Member
Military car insurance discounts can save you a ton, but there are other ways to save on your auto coverage. Some companies also offer benefits that aren’t listed on their website. Below are some ways you can save:
- Ask about military discounts. Some companies don’t come right out and say they have one. Yours may if you talk to your agent. It never hurts to ask!
- Compare car insurance quotes. Some companies may offer better rates than others. Even if you’re content with your current provider, you could save money by testing the market and comparing prices.
- Look for further savings. Discounts are one of the best ways to save on auto insurance. Ask your agent or look for easy discounts, such as bundling or automatic payments.
- Move to Louisiana. This, of course, isn’t an option for everyone. But the state has an interesting law that requires every insurance company to offer a minimum 25% discount to active military members. If you already live there, you likely already have the discount. You qualify if you:
- Are active military
- Live in Louisiana
- Have a spouse or dependent who lives in Louisiana while you’re out-of-state
- Buy your car insurance in Louisiana
How We Chose the Best Car Insurance for Military Members
We chose the best auto insurance company for military members and their families by looking at several factors. We compared all the leading insurers and examined the types of benefits they offered to current or past service members. Specifically, we researched:
- Customer service
- Average rates
- Company solvency